Design Blogger Series #6: What Would You Do?

For the sixth  Design Blogger Series: What Would You Do?,  I invited four talented design bloggers – all of whom have up incoming careers in the design field. Michaela of Michaela Noelle Designs, Kerry of First Time Fancy, Marissa of Roost, and Mackenzie of Design Darling were asked to design a space around the sleek,  white lacquer console by Jonathan Adler by incorporating four or so home décor items of their choosing.
white lacquer console table jonathan adler
Made in Vietnam using traditional, artisanal techniques, the “minimalist sparkle” Jonathan Adler console is coated in twelve layers of lacquer. It is quite a process; Every coat is allowed to dry for 48 hours and water-sanded before the next coat is applied.
gray turquoise entryway design
{Foyer by Michaela of Michaela Noelle Designs}
“My style is a mix of modern and vintage, so I knew I wanted to add a touch of vintage with the juxtaposition of a few whimsical items.  I can see this console table in a foyer. I imagine the walls painted this cool shade of gray {Benjamin Moore’s Cobblestone Path} to add just the right amount of contrast between the white items and the walls. A classic zebra patterned rug in gray and ivory will cover the floors.  The curtains are consistent with the geometric shape of the console, but also point to a more vintage feel with the addition of the turquoise organic swirls. An echo of the turquoise is found in the lamp to be placed on the console. The modern white chair will sit to one side of the credenza, providing a chic place to slip on your shoes before you head out.  To brighten up the space, above the console I would layer an oil painting from Jen Ramos with an eclectic, mismatched mirrors …and let’s be honest, we all want to check our lip gloss one more time before running out the door!”

* Simplified Bee’s favorite thing about Michaela’s design: the oil painting by Jen Ramos.

{Nursery by Kerry of First Time Fancy}
“Most of the time, if you give someone a console table, they will automatically think entryway or living room. Maybe it’s because I have some serious baby brain recently, but I put together a sweet little nursery using the lacquer console. I picked the Jennifer Delonge Glam Glider because I love the simple lines of it, and think it looks like the perfect spot to curl up with a babe in the wee hours of the night. The Aerial Crib mimics the same clean lines, while the Tiger Boo rug brings some fun and colour to the space. Then, to give the console purpose in the space, I picked the Jonathan Adler Giraffe Lamp to go on top, and some Pottery Barn canvas buckets for storing baby toys underneath. If we had, had a bigger budget for our own nursery, I am sure at least a few of these pieces would have made their way in.”

* Simplified Bee’s favorite thing about Kerry’s design: thinking out of the box and placing the console in a nursery!

{Foyer by Marissa of Roost}
“I am usually drawn to pretty traditional design, so it was fun for me to step out of the box to use this cool modern console in my imaginary entryway design! I started with Navy Bean Grasscloth from Phillip Jeffries. Grasscloth is so classic and works well with a lot of styles.  In my imaginary entry, there is a nice big set of windows, which I would frame with Lyrical Branches Curtains from World Market. A lot of the other elements I chose for this room are very symmetrical and/or geometric, so I like the flowing, organic lines of the branch pattern. Under foot, I chose the grey Riviera Rug from Calypso St. Barth, and overhead, Troy Lighting’s amazing Sausalito Pendant. I love gold accents–so glamorous and refined. Under the console, more gold with a pair of Circe Benches with Greek key detail, which I’d reupholster in Tapdance by Stout Fabrics, available at Decorator’s Best. I love mirrors in entry ways (or anywhere, really), and I chose Horchow’s Bone Inlay Mirror as the statement piece for this entry. I can’t get over how beautiful and intricate it is! This is a pretty pricey little design, but a girl can dream. Or surf Craigslist to DIY some of it myself!”

* Simplified Bee’s favorite thing about Marissa’s design: it’s a toss up between the bone inlay mirror and the Greek key bench.

preppy orange pink foyer design darling
{Foyer by Mackenzie of Design Darling}
“I love Jonathan Adler having interned for him last summer so this challenge was a real treat! I envision his divine lacquer console in a playfully chic foyer. My first move is to soften its straight lines with a curvy framed mirror and to-die-for vintage chairs. His traditional-with-a-twist zebra rug is a must and I love that the Quadrille Kazak pillow ties in both the orange and the hot pink. Topped with a sparkly chandelier, it’s everything a preppy foyer should be!”

* Simplified Bee’s favorite thing about Mackenzie’s design: the pillow in Quadrille Kazak {swoon} – it pulls it all together beautifully.

Don’t you love what these gals have created? Each of these spaces has a distinct feeling, but I couldn’t help but notice the similarities: 1. Three out of the four used the lacquer console in a foyer, 2. Three out of the four coupled it with an animal print rug, 3. All paired it with a upholstered chair or bench, 4. All incorporated lighting that makes a strong statement. What similarities or differences do see?

Also, a big thank you to Michaela, Kerry, Marissa and Mackenzie for participating in this series!

xo,

28 Responses to Design Blogger Series #6: What Would You Do?

1. Esther May 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm #

What a great idea for a series!

2. Marissa Waddell May 18, 2011 at 3:54 pm #

So cool to see how different each design is even though we all started with the same piece! Thanks again for having me :)

3. Michaela May 18, 2011 at 4:14 pm #

Thanks so much for having us, Cristin! I love what the other girls came up with, too! Funny how they are so different, but have lots of the same elements.

4. Kerry May 18, 2011 at 5:10 pm #

Thanks again Cristin for asking me to participate! :) I had a lot of fun putting it together and I really love what the other three girls came up with! I can't believe three of us decided on animal print rugs!

5. Simple Dwellings May 18, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

What a great idea for a series! I love how unique and beautiful they all were. They all seemed to take the console in different directions, yet stay so true to the piece! :) Well done, ladies!

6. Elizabeth May 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

I love this series! It always amazes me how truly unique designer's are. This series is a great example, given one piece, the designs still turn out so unique to the designer. I'm off to check out a couple of the designer's blogs that I am not familiar with.

7. Jess @ polka dots, Paris and paint May 18, 2011 at 5:50 pm #

Love the design darling one! The pops of orange are so bright and happy.

8. My Beautiful Life May 18, 2011 at 6:15 pm #

I love the oil painting by Jen Ramos. (and that board)

9. jacquelynnicole May 18, 2011 at 6:32 pm #

I love how drastically different each one is! I do a similar series on my blog. It's fun coming up with such alternatives!

10. Laura@JourneyChic May 18, 2011 at 6:50 pm #

Hard to pick a favorite! I'm drawn to Michaela's blues (I did a little something with that same painting today) and love those Anthro curtains. But I looove the pendant light that Marissa chose! All great designs – love this series!

11. About Last Weekend May 18, 2011 at 7:06 pm #

What an amazing post. Love the painting in the top one- fabulous. And having been looking for a baroque-ey mirror just like the one above to go over a modern rope chest!

12. Fran May 18, 2011 at 7:49 pm #

Great design boards – love them all and that console!!

13. Brittany {Gallery No. Eight} May 18, 2011 at 11:52 pm #

What a neat idea! I love seeing what everyone did!

14. Mackenzie {Design Darling} May 19, 2011 at 12:29 am #

The possibilities are endless! Everyone did such a lovely job. Thank you for having me!

15. Courtney {a thoughtful place} May 19, 2011 at 1:00 am #

I love this. Great piece and the rooms are so diverse. I LOVE Michaela and Marissa! Great to be introduced to some new blogs as well.

16. CDS May 19, 2011 at 1:40 am #

I LOVE that blue lamp…and I have been coveting the Adler giraffe lamp since I first saw it last spring.

17. Lily May 19, 2011 at 2:06 am #

I love them all !! So hard to pick a favorite. The Quadrille Kazak pillow is amazing…I want one ! And a greek key bench too!

xxLily
    goldandgray.com

18. pretty pink tulips May 19, 2011 at 2:22 am #

All of these vingettes are fantastic! Just goes to show that that console table can be interpreted in so many ways and fit in any style of decor.

xo Elizabeth

19. Megan May 19, 2011 at 4:09 am #

I absolutely love this idea and series! So so cute!! I am loving all of the color that each girl included!

20. Things That Sparkle May 19, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

Absolutely love this idea and wow these are some gorgeous rooms!

21. christine {bijouandboheme} May 19, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

I adore this idea- so fun!!! Everyone put together such gorgeous designs!

22. Andrika King May 19, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

Design Darling's is my favorite! Maybe because I just found out I'm having a girl and already have some of that quadrille fabric ready to make into pillows!

23. KC May 19, 2011 at 3:28 pm #

I love how unique they all turned out!

24. Kate at Dream To Life May 19, 2011 at 5:53 pm #

I'm loving these design series: what would you do? I always make up my own design before scrolling down to see what everybody else does! Such fun!

25. Megan May 20, 2011 at 11:29 am #

What a fun posting idea!!! Every lady did a fabulous job. Simplified Bee, are you going to do more of this series. It made such a fun read over my morning coffee!!!

26. pve design May 20, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

I would add that to my office with a niche modern lamp and ghost chair….
    on a concrete floor in front of a window flooded with light….
    pve

27. Naomi@DesignManifest May 23, 2011 at 4:56 pm #

It is so neat to compare styles!! Everyone really sees furniture differently.

I've used this piece in a dining room. In person its so fantastic!

28. Megan {Honey We're Home} May 23, 2011 at 7:43 pm #

All awesome in their own unique way. This series rocks Cristin! I love seeing how everyone's personality comes through in their designs.