Interior Designer: Amanda Nisbet’s NYC Home

Colorful, layered and inviting. Amanda Nisbet’s designs are some of my favorites. Recently New York Social Diary interviewed Amanda and toured her lovely New York City home. Let’s take a closer look…

new york entryway bark skin wall covering nisbet

In the front entry {above} colorful tulips greet guests and bark skin handmade paper from Caba Company covers the walls.

amanad nisbet formal living room yellow orange

In the living room, Amanda divides the space into two seating areas. A console table separates the sofas and houses a pair of Aurora double gourd lamps by Christopher Spitzmiller. A macassar ebony coffee table from Pollack is placed in front of a sofa topped with raspberry and tangerine pillows {fabric from Manuel Canovas}.

living room orange drapes amanda nisbet

Original artwork in various styles is hung throughout the living room. Between the widows draped in tangerine fabric by Pierre Frey, an abstract painting by artist Maureen Russell is hung.  For a coffee table, Amanda selects a playful ottoman upholstered in a zebra print.

orange yellow formal living room amanda nisbet

Adding wonderful texture, an oval, handmade ceramic mirror by artist Eve Kaplan is hung above the fireplace mantel. Amanda is a master of mixing styles, colors and pattern. Here she pairs modern, purple velvet covered Lucite stools with gilt French console from Gerald Bland. The console is layered with colorful books, family photographs and modern art.

amanda nisbet living room yellow drapes
I love to see how a room evolves overtime. Here’s a photo of Amanda’s living room a couple of years ago. As you can see some changes have been made. The drapes {now tangerine}, stools {replaced the pillow tucked under the console} and sofa {darker upholstery fabric} are all new.

amanda nisbet dining room formal

The formal dining room features beautiful parquet wooden floors, crystal scones from Niermann Weeks and stunning crystal girandoles atop the dining table {a family heirloom}. Between the windows artwork, ‘White Wave’ by James Nares coordinates with the lilac covered dining chairs and really pops against the Venetian plaster walls.

ikat tufted chairs brown white

Love these tufted chairs covered in a brown silk ikat fabric with black lacquer legs flanking the traditional fireplace mantel in the dining room.

master bedroom pink white amanda nisbet

Amanda’s master bedroom is serene. A muted palette of pink and yellow are quiet feminine. Farrow & Ball ‘Tarlow’ covers the walls. A built-in, white bookcase provides additional storage and adds visual interest to the room.

christopher farr springtime rose canopy bed

A sweet canopy in ‘Springtime Rose’ fabric by Christopher Farr frames the bed beautifully.

pink wallpaper bathroom amanda nisbet

The color pink is carried into the master bath with the ‘Pali’ wallpaper by Manuel Canovas. It is a bold statement and apparently one that surprised her husband.

girls bedroom lavender amanda nisbet

Amanda’s daughter’s bedroom features shades of lavender in the Roman shade, throw pillows {love the ikat!} and throw at the foot of the bed. And more outstanding artwork!

boys room wallpaper ceiling amanda nisbet

Here is a look at Amanda’s boy’s bedroom. The persimmon banded headboard with nail head, vintage tree art and wallpaper ceiling are my design  favorite elements.

Jalapeno Pepper Benjamin Moore walls study

Benjamin Moore’s Jalapeño Pepper covers the walls in the study. Gorgeous ikat pillows by Madeline Weinrib are layered on the sofa and slipper chair.  A pair of 1940’s brass bar stools are place in front of the sofa and used as drink tables.

amanda nisbet breakfast nook green leather banquette

The eat-in kitchen breakfast nook has also been updated {see the old version below}. The cozy banquette is now covered in an avocado leather or vinyl fabric and a banded Roman shade replaces blinds.  The chairs, table and photo art remain the same.

amanda nisbet kitchen nook floral

Which room is your favorite?

20 Responses to Interior Designer: Amanda Nisbet’s NYC Home

1. designchic May 17, 2011 at 7:12 pm #

It's equally as beautiful as I would have thought…love her style. I'm obsessed with the Manuel Canovas wallpaper in the bathroom – gorgeous!!

2. designingmainstreet.com May 17, 2011 at 6:54 pm #

Wow.. such beautiful rooms! You've got me thinking I must rearrange when I get home tonight!

3. Jess @ polka dots, Paris and paint May 17, 2011 at 6:13 pm #

I think my favorite room is her boy's room! I also love the acid-y green color that she repeats throughout.

4. courtneyoutloud May 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm #

I am loving the study/den – the green color on the wall is bright but not overpowering thanks to the dark furniture and brass

5. Peppermint Bee May 17, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

Each room is so warm and inviting. And that bathroom, love the wallpaper!

6. Ruthie's Renewed Treasures May 17, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

Pops of color and loads of happiness!!

7. Jeni May 17, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

ALL of the rooms are my favorite. Just love the classic yet modern lines with patterns and BLASTS of color that make me smile!

8. Andrika King May 17, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

My vote is for the boy's room, always love a papered ceiling. But her peach living room is pretty stunning for an adult space!

9. pretty pink tulips May 17, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

I love Amanda's style! Truly!!! Tulips at the entry and I have the same antelope carpet runner up my staircase and on my landings. I tore out the magazine page of that fabulous pink bathroom and connecting bedroom. I think that stands as my favorite….but truly, I love it ALL!

xo Elizabeth

10. Amy May 17, 2011 at 11:04 am #

I love the mix of styles, those purple stools with the french console look amazing. 🙂

11. Erica J May 17, 2011 at 5:25 am #

so hard to choose my favorite (: -I love how the living room has the tangerine drapes for that pop of color in what is already a subtle room. love that zebra print ottoman too! – Love the tub's deep pink/purple wallpaper too, so pretty! and that kitchen table with the chairs is really to die for..great post, thanx for sharing!

12. The Sister Sophisticate May 17, 2011 at 3:21 am #

Just love everything! Especially the boys room!

13. Jerico Jien May 17, 2011 at 2:16 am #

this is glamorous.. amazing!

14. Karena May 17, 2011 at 1:12 am #

Adore her design work…a fabulous bright palette!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

Come and enter my New Giveaway from Serena & Lily! You will love it!

15. Allison May 17, 2011 at 12:25 am #

Amanda's home is stunning. I love her use of color, textures and fabrics. That living room is beautiful. I'm drawn to the tangerine, raspberry and fun zebra print. Thanks for the tour. What a fun home!

16. nancy @ {COZAMIA} May 17, 2011 at 12:21 am #

Wait, I can do wallpaper around the bathtub?!! Love that pink pattern!
    Every room is truely beautiful here..

17. Tammy@InStitches May 16, 2011 at 8:47 pm #

What a beautiful home. You can tell how much she loves fabric and draperies !

18. Lily May 16, 2011 at 6:23 pm #

Wow every single room is gorgeous !! Love the shiny silver table and chairs in the eat in breakfast nook!!

xxLily
    goldandgray.com

19. Chic Coles May 16, 2011 at 5:37 pm #

She is one of our favorite designers.Her use of color and pattern is amazing.

20. Marissa Waddell May 16, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

I love her daughter's room. It's youthful but sophisticated, and I love the art above the bed.