DIY Ribbon Chandelier in Shades of Purple

This spring we have hosted several family celebrations. One was for my daughter. She requested the event be “purple.” Originally I was going to add pops of black into the color scheme, but my Mom said it would look too harsh. I agreed and instead mixed shades of purple. The result was feminine, fresh and fun.
pretty purple party decor details // Simplified Bee

To capture the moment, I hired Jennifer Jacobson Photography. She took all of the images in the collage above. I think she did an amazing job!

martha stewart ribbon chandelier and cake stand
Martha Stewart’s ribbon chandelier was my inspiration and starting point for decorating the party’s main table.

diy ribbon chandelier how to

To make the ribbon “chandelier”, I first wrapped lavender satin ribbon around a 12-inch wreath form to cover the surface of the form. Using three colors of satin ribbon – lavender, purple and white – I cut lengths of about 16 inches. Then I created a pattern by knotting cut pieces of ribbon around the wreath at their midpoints.

DIY ribbon chandelier // Simplified Bee
The ribbon “chandelier” was hung using three smaller cut lavender ribbons and tied to my dining room’s chandelier. I love the whimsical touch and the way it pulled the color scheme together.

Next I will share the floral arrangements and block print tablecloth made for the party!

Wishing you a great weekend!
Cristin

, , ,

18 Responses to DIY Ribbon Chandelier in Shades of Purple

1. Keshia A May 22, 2012 at 2:49 am #

Thank you so much for the idea! I just got done making one of these ribbon chandeliers for my sister-in-law's baby shower! The colors were navy, Kelly green, lime green, and white. I love it, and can't wait to see it up at the shower!

2. Michelle @ Ten June May 23, 2011 at 4:35 am #

I love this ribbon chandelier! My twin nieces would just go wild over this for their upcoming 9th birtday… I am definitely bookmarking this! Can't wait to see the rest of the party!

3. Heather J May 23, 2011 at 12:59 am #

What a very pretty party! That ribbon chandelier is so fun. I love that your daughter requested a purple party.

4. Michaela May 22, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

So beautiful!! I love purple, so I think your daughter and I will get along well (: Thanks for sharing!

5. Pinecone Camp May 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

Love the pretty colour scheme. The ribbon chandelier would look great hanging in a certain tree in my back yard too. Jennifer did take some lovely pics.
    Have a nice Sunday!

6. Flourishing Networks May 22, 2011 at 6:22 am #

Fantastic idea also LOVE the flower arrangements!

7. Ruthie's Renewed Treasures May 21, 2011 at 4:58 pm #

So beautiful. I'd love to do a massive one for over a bed!! Gorgeous and beautifully photographed! You are so gifted!!

8. Allison May 21, 2011 at 6:45 am #

Very festive, fun and feminine! It would be a darling idea for a baby shower or bridal shower. Have a wonderful weekend, Cristin.

9. Erin Elizabeth May 21, 2011 at 2:12 am #

I love the idea of a ribbon chandelier! Such a brilliant idea!

10. Jess @ polka dots, Paris and paint May 20, 2011 at 9:54 pm #

So clever! I can't wait to give it a try-maybe a spring brunch is in my future!

11. pretty pink tulips May 20, 2011 at 9:39 pm #

Cristin,
    What a BEAUTIFUL celebration for your daughter….I love that you created something just for her and that you had a professional photographer capture it all. These photos will be a treasure for years to come.

Bravo!!!
    xo Elizabeth

12. Loft32 May 20, 2011 at 9:30 pm #

Cute and feminine. Great for bridal showers, baby showers, etc.

XO,
    Candace

13. Katie May 20, 2011 at 9:16 pm #

Cute! This would totally work for a baby mobile kind of thing too, huh?! I might have to try it out for my new little nephew. Maybe with some jute twine and natural colored twill ribbons… Thanks for sharing!

14. Maria May 20, 2011 at 7:58 pm #

gorgeous! happy weekend to you too, Cristin!

15. Jenny May 20, 2011 at 6:03 pm #

This is so cute! A hit for any girl's party (and any age girl for that matter!). 🙂

16. Melissa {TheScarletCardinal} May 20, 2011 at 4:04 pm #

I love this! I will definitely have to try this for my next party!

17. { L } May 20, 2011 at 3:08 pm #

This is just gorgeous! Your colors are lovely too. I would love to do this idea.

18. MeenyMoe May 20, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

That is so pretty!! It would look equally beautiful in a child's room or nursery! – Karen