Tips on How to Wrap a Gift

Sometimes what makes a present so special is the way it’s wrapped. Knowing how to wrap a gift is a good skill to have. Here’s a simple tutorial on wrapping a rectangular box, but this could be easily applied to other shape packages as well.
gift wrap how to // simplified bee

Supplies you’ll need:

how to wrap a gift
The secret to a neat package is to not use excess paper. Determine how much gift wrap you’ll need by placing the box along the length of the paper. Then unroll enough so that it wraps around the box with a 2” overlap. Also make sure that there is adequate wrapping paper at the ends to cover them completely when folded down. Use a pencil to mark where the overlaps end. If cutting in a straight line is a challenge or your paper doesn’t have a guide, use a rule to help you keep your cutting in line.
wrapping paper how to // simplified bee

2. Draw paper around smoothly and tape with double stick tape.

3. If you do have excess paper, fold over to created the right fit.

4. Use double stick tape to secure the second side in place.

gift wrap // corner how to

5. Fold down the top part of the wrapping paper and tape in place.

6. Crease the sides and fold inward. Fold the bottom flap into a triangle {fold tip if desired}. Tape in place.

7. Tape the bottom flap to the box. Repeat steps 5 – 7 for the other side.

using excess wrapping paper as ribbon
To finish off the look, add a ribbon or two. I like to layer ribbons that compliment the wrapping paper. Here I wrapped the package with a green & white striped gift wrap leftover and secured it with tape. Then I wrapped a smaller width vintage red velvet ribbon and taped it in place.
gift wrap how to complete

The bow on top was created using recycled ribbons.

how to tie a simple bow #giftwrap
how to wrap a gift #tutorial

Add a card, gift tag or small ornament to personalize the gift.

gift wrap finishing touches
Vintage brooches, antique silverware, colorful buttons and other flea-market finds also make perfect finishing touches to a gift. {all images above via  Country Home 2008}
fabric reusable gift wrap how to
Furoshiki, a Japanese gift wrapping technique, uses a large piece of fabric for wrapping gifts. This is good for the environment because there is no paper waste. It’s also chic and economical because it can be used again. Visit Joybucket for a tutorial on making fabric reusable gift wrap {image above via Joybucket}.
gift ribbon straighting technique easy

Recycling ribbon is also a good thing, but what if it’s wrinkled? Real Simple shows us a great technique to get the kinks out using a flat iron.

Are your gift wrap supplies out of control? For gift wrap storage solutions go here.

Happy Holidays!
* all photo by Cristin Priest for Simplified Bee or otherwise stated.
Pin It
Pin It

, ,

17 Responses to Tips on How to Wrap a Gift

1. journeychic.com December 8, 2010 at 4:24 pm #

Great tips! I love the idea of using excess paper as decoration. It's also important to use quality paper – the cheap stuff always rips while it's being cut!

2. Janell @ Isabella and Max December 8, 2010 at 4:26 pm #

Beautiful and love all the graphics you used! I can't say I'm all that great at wrapping gifts…in too much of a hurry! What a great idea to straighten ribbon! Janell

3. classic casual home December 8, 2010 at 4:27 pm #

Fantastic! What a simple idea to use a flat iron. Do you have any ideas where to get solid color wrapping paper …that I will dress up with patterned ribbon and accessories like you suggest?
    Mary Ann

4. Cristin @ Simplified Bee December 8, 2010 at 5:36 pm #

Mary Ann,

That is a great look! Try looking for solid color wrapping paper at a local party supply store. I know I have found some at Diddam's.

xo,
    cristin

5. MeenyMoe December 8, 2010 at 6:03 pm #

I love the flat iron idea for straightening ribbon! That is ingenious! -Karen

6. CDS December 8, 2010 at 11:25 pm #

GReat tips! I always wrap my gifts by theme each year…not sure what Iw ill do this year…probably brown paper and string.
    xoxo

7. Third Avenue Style December 9, 2010 at 1:54 am #

Very timely post. I am just about to start the wrap-a-thon & desperately needed inspiration, so thank you.

Katie

8. SHERRY HART December 9, 2010 at 11:09 am #

That trick using the flat iron to smooth out the ribbon…..Whoa…an Aha moment!

9. jvw home December 9, 2010 at 1:56 pm #

Great tutorial Cristin!
    Thx for sharing cute ideas!
    xooxo

10. Jen Schenk December 9, 2010 at 2:33 pm #

What great tips. Thanks for sharing. I love your finished product!!

11. quintessence December 9, 2010 at 7:58 pm #

Love the idea of using the flat iron!!

12. mydesignchic December 9, 2010 at 8:59 pm #

I so needed this tutorial today and the flat iron – who knew…

13. Joey and Lana December 10, 2010 at 3:39 am #

thanks so much for the great tips! now off to wrap some gifts better than i intended :)

14. About Last Weekend December 10, 2010 at 7:28 pm #

Hi Cristen, nice to meet you. I live through the tunnel in Oakland Introduced to your lovely blog by Christina N. Love the wrapping tutorial, was just about to ask a friend to give me a lesson and here it is!

15. The English Organizer December 10, 2010 at 9:59 pm #

I actually enjoy wrapping gifts, and was pondering myself just today that so many gifts in the US seem to be presented to the recipient in bags. In the UK, on the other hand, almost all gifts are wrapped in the way you demonstrated here. Although, not so stylishly, of course ;)

16. Mystica December 10, 2010 at 10:50 pm #

This was such a nice post!

I am having my first giveaway on my blog.A gift card sponsored by CSN Stores. please all enter!

17. Megan {Honey We're Home} December 21, 2010 at 5:52 am #

I love your wrapping posts- and too funny about the flat iron!!