Spring Cleaning – Washing the Windows Naturally & DIY Cleaning Solution

Now that you’ve organized your closet for warmer weather, it’s time to clean the windows from winter’s storms. Because harsh fumes from traditional window cleaners may do more harm than good, it is important to use chemical free cleaning solutions. However non-toxic cleaning products can be expensive, so here is a simple, inexpensive natural window cleaning solution you can make at home:

Combine three teaspoons of vinegar to one quart of warm water and pour the solution into a reusable spray bottle. That’s it!

Now for washing the windows. First, schedule time during the day when the sun is not shining directly on the windows. Dust away cobwebs and dirt with a soft-bristle brush.

Spray a small amount of natural window solution onto the window and squeegee the glass starting from one of the upper corners and move straight down. Repeat and overlap until the entire window had been wiped. To prevent streaking, use crumpled newspaper to wipe small drips and recycle the newspaper after cleaning your windows.
Windows. Check. Now what’s next on your spring cleaning list?

16 Responses to Spring Cleaning – Washing the Windows Naturally & DIY Cleaning Solution

1. Leanne April 16, 2010 at 6:47 am #

Thanks so much for linking Cristin. You're a sweetheart. I love all your great ideas and your decorating style is beautiful.

2. pk @ Room Remix April 16, 2010 at 2:12 am #

Washing my windows is definitely on my list to do SOON! Just one more happy sign that it's spring. 🙂 I like the vinegar/water idea.

3. Suzanne April 15, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

My husband and I did this dirty deed last weekend. He does the outside, while I do the inside. I contend that there is nothing that makes a home look better than squeaky clean windows. I always use vinegar and a drop or two of dish soap. It cuts it all!

4. Holly April 15, 2010 at 3:54 am #

Every window in my house needs to be washed..and I have a big jug of white vinegar!
    Holly
    504 Main

5. Marija April 15, 2010 at 2:50 am #

Perfect timing. I just noticed how badly in need of a good cleaning all of our windows are…darn snow and rain! Now if only someone would come take this chore off my hands! You chose great images, by the way! Marija

6. Laura Trevey April 15, 2010 at 2:11 am #

Windows always make the room look so much better and brighter when clean… it's just one of those things you rarely think of doing…

thanks for the reminder!
    xoxo Laura

7. maureen @ The Inglenook Decor April 14, 2010 at 5:08 pm #

great tips & those spaces are sooo wonderful!

8. Becca April 14, 2010 at 4:45 pm #

The photos on your blog are beautiful! I'm hosting my first ever linky party on Friday. I hope you'll post this over there! http://becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com/

9. Cristin April 14, 2010 at 3:42 pm #

Thank you all for the great tips on window washing. Love the squeegee tip from An Organized Nest and the magic towel from Katie sounds like a winner!

xo,
    cristin

10. An Organized Nest April 14, 2010 at 3:28 pm #

Another great tip is to squeegee vertically on the outside of the window, and horizontally on the inside of the window. That way, if you see streaks, you will know which side of the window they're coming from!

11. Pinecone Camp April 14, 2010 at 3:20 pm #

That is a perfect window cleaner….and so much nicer than that “blue” cleaner! Have a great day.

12. Katie April 14, 2010 at 1:43 pm #

Thanks for this post! It helps to know everyone else is doing this dreaded chore too. Yesterday was a beautiful day to clean windows… and let's see I'm currently 5 down, 14 to go. 🙂

At my wedding shower two years ago, I received a special window cleaning cloth. It works like a car chamois to clean glass, mirrors, and stainless steel surfaces all without any soap or windex, etc. I'm not kidding when I say it cleans off everything (bug spots and all) and leaves absolutely no streaks. I throw it in the wash machine when I'm done and then let it air dry. I tell you, it's magic. 🙂 If anyone's interested I could dig up a phone number to order one. I think they sell for $5 or something.

Sorry for the long comment and sales pitch.

13. Things That Inspire April 13, 2010 at 11:14 pm #

I love all of these windows – William Hefner is definitely a favorite!

I was just looking at my dining room windows and thinking how dirty they are. As soon as the pollen season stops (it makes everything yellow for 3 weeks) I am going to have to follow your instructions!

14. The Zhush April 13, 2010 at 9:43 pm #

Oh those windows in the last photo!!!! Love using vinegar to clean, its green and its cheap and it gets it done!

15. Leanne April 13, 2010 at 9:24 pm #

My windows need a good cleaning, but they're going to have to wait until it quits snowing and raining. I look forward to warmer weather. I'm having my first linky party tomorrow. It's about Organizing and I know you have some amazing ideas. I would love it if you could link a post or 2, so I don't have to be at the party by myself. Thanks for all your great ideas.

16. Averill April 13, 2010 at 9:02 pm #

My windows are desparate for a good scrub. With all the construction going on in the neighborhood, they're absolutely filthy!