Designer Kitchens: Glass-front Cabinets

You have seen them in several previous Simplified Bee posts: Clean and Simple White Kitchens, French Inspired Kitchen Design, and Perfect Function – Mick de Giulio Kitchen Design. It seems more than ever, interior designers are incorporating glass-front cabinetry into their kitchen designs. And I love the look!

Glass-front cabinets provide an open, airy feeling and are used to display choice tableware. They are great incentives for you to be organized because any clutter will be noticeable. For this reason however, it is important to place glass-front cabinets strategically and perhaps sparingly in your kitchen. Here are some examples of great kitchen designs – including modern, contemporary and traditional – using glass-front cabinets.

Atlanta, Georgia-based designer, Suzanne Kasler beautifully positions glass-front cabinets on either side of the stove and farmhouse sink. Love the Roman shade in Galbraith & Paul’s Zinnia print.

Sage Design uses glass-fronts in a series of standard rectangle shaped cabinets to give this smaller, classic kitchen an open and airy feeling.

In this soft cream kitchen the upper cabinets showcase decorative stained glass. I am a fan of mixing old with new and love how the stained glass old world look balances the contemporary design elements. Image via Decor Pad.

Natural light floods this gorgeous kitchen by designer, Suzanne Kasler. She surrounds a range and hood with divided light or mullioned door glass-front cabinets. The cabinets also nicely echo the look of the adjacent windows. The ice blue tile backsplash and bar stools add a touch of freshness to this beautiful kitchen.

In this Scandinavian kitchen from Vakre Hjem & Interior, the divided light glass-front cabinets are stunning. The X pattern contrasts nicely with the vertical pattern in the country beadboard.

In this kitchen, designer Molly Frey converts an antique hutch from New England into a wet bar. The glass-front cabinet in this case doesn’t have to match the kitchen’s cabinet style and adds to the overall charm by mixing old and new.

Designed by Elizabeth Dinkel, this kitchen’s glass-front cabinets house books and frame an open window into the adjacent living room.

This curved glass display case is beautifully positioned on a corner. Love this use of space! Image via Kitchen Bath Ideas.

Painting the back or interior of a glass-front cabinet allows you to add a shot of color into your kitchen. Select a hue that complements your existing color scheme and is a contrast to your tableware. Image via House Beautiful.

Here is another example {via Decorology} of glass-front cabinets with a splash of color. Notice that all of the items on display are in a neutral white or glass so that they don’t blend into the background. Using storage bins such as the large white labeled tins on the top shelf are a great way to display items you otherwise won’t in a glass-front cabinet.

Featured in the August 2007 issue of House Beautiful, the interior of these divided light cabinets are painted by architect Gil Schafer and color consultant, Eve Ashcraft. Both the white cabinets and china contrast nicely with the apple green backdrop. The glass insert appears to be reeded which would help conceal the cabinets contents.

A fluted glass insert, as seen in the stainless steel cabinets above is another good option if you struggle to keep your dishware organized. Image courtesy of Luxury Housing Trends.

Frosted-glass cabinet doors also hide tableware, spices and other cooking supplies. In this colorful kitchen featured in Coastal Living, the homeowners etched letter into the frosted-glass to make finding items easy as ABC.

Do you have glass-front cabinets in your kitchen? Do you love the look?

* First image courtesy of Charles and Hudson.

34 Responses to Designer Kitchens: Glass-front Cabinets

1. Cristin November 27, 2010 at 1:47 am #

Karen, the stained glass was most likely done by a glass artist independant of the cabinet maker. I would recommend finding a good cabinet maker in your area – he/she would have a good contact for the stain glass.

Hope this helps!

xo,
    cristin

2. Karen November 24, 2010 at 5:09 pm #

Where can I purchase the stained glass cabinets in the cream colored kitchen. This is the kitchen I want to put into my 1889 Dutch Colonial home. I have looked everywhere and these are the cabinets I want. Thank You. karen Wells

3. leenapaul July 7, 2010 at 12:07 pm #

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4. Mark February 17, 2010 at 2:16 pm #

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5. peter February 10, 2010 at 7:09 am #

Good post. The pics were great. Mainly I need this type of kitchen. Do I need to contact any Austin Real Estate Agents?

6. abigail February 2, 2010 at 1:52 am #

I have glass front cabinets. I LOVE glass front cabinets!

7. MB February 1, 2010 at 9:06 pm #

Thanks for a great post! I love glass front cabinets and I loved all the great inspiration. Look foward to future posts. Cheers

8. Giovanna January 27, 2010 at 3:01 pm #

i love glass front cabinets. i don't have any, sadly, but i especially love the kitchen with the ice blue backsplash.

9. Developing Designs January 27, 2010 at 1:08 pm #

Great inspirations, beautiful ideas, there are so many that I am crazy about. I love the look of glass front cabinets and am amazed at the wonderful job you did showing how diversified they can be. Love, love the Scandinavian X pattern and the pop of colors inside are just divine. Great post!

10. Annie@A View On Design January 27, 2010 at 9:54 am #

I'm a bit nervous with glass doors, they can date quite quickly, but the pics you have posted look gorgeous – no doubt!

11. Erica LeBlanc January 27, 2010 at 2:01 am #

That curved cabinet is divine, so beautiful. What a clever way to use every inch of space.

12. Shelly @littlemrsdoitall January 27, 2010 at 1:12 am #

Now I really really miss our old kitchen with its glass front cabinets! It really opens a room up!

13. Struggler January 26, 2010 at 11:02 pm #

Yes, it's a great look, but as you say, best suited to those of us who are tidy and/or have great looking dishes. I do like the idea of being able to paint or paper the backs of the cabinets to change the look of the room very easily.

14. Lovely Scribbles January 26, 2010 at 7:06 pm #

I love the look of glass front cabinets, and it was seriously one of the reasons I purchased my home with just those kind of cabinets. I especially like your images with the splash of color in the background. What a fun look!

15. Ideezine January 26, 2010 at 6:33 pm #

These glass front cabinets remind me of the older built-in shelving you'd see in older homes. It really makes you feel like it's your home. The color splashed cabinets are great eye candy for a room we do gather in often.
    Great post!

Bette

16. Alicia B. Designs January 26, 2010 at 2:31 pm #

I LOVE LOVE glass front cabinets. When I have my own kitchen someday I'll have frosted glass front cabinets.

17. Things That Inspire January 26, 2010 at 1:36 pm #

I linked to this post today – I am still thinking about it!

18. Linda January 26, 2010 at 7:33 am #

I just luv glass front cabinets…thanks for all the beau-ti-ful pics!

Blessings,
    Linda

19. Cappello Design January 26, 2010 at 5:44 am #

These are absolutely fabulous! I am so excited that i found this blog! Good finds

20. Maria Killam January 26, 2010 at 4:27 am #

Fabulous post, I'm going to tweet this next!! Awesome!

21. Eileen January 26, 2010 at 4:04 am #

Oh my goodness! Years ago…and I can't remember what magazine, but I tore out and put in a folder {for my future dream kitchen} a picture of chef Nancy Silverton's kitchen at home! She had chicken wire glass cabinets and ever since I've always loved that look! Now, I wish I could find it!! ๐Ÿ™‚

22. Deliciously Organized January 26, 2010 at 3:59 am #

These kitchens are gorgeous. We don't have them at our house {rental} but I think a few would be really nice in a kitchen.

23. Things That Inspire January 26, 2010 at 12:25 am #

What a gorgeous post – you and I are on the same wavelength, I am finishing off a post on a kitchen related topic and have some of the same pictures to illustrate my point – which is different than yours, so I point out some different things. I am going to go look back at the other kitchen posts that you wrote!

24. Velvet and Linen January 26, 2010 at 12:19 am #

Great images Cristin. Suzanne Kasler can do no wrong in my book. Love the kitchen with that blue tile!
    I also am drooling over that curved display cabinet. So pretty!

xo
    Brooke

25. Preppy 101 January 25, 2010 at 11:22 pm #

I love the look!!! These pics are great!! xoxo

26. chair up January 25, 2010 at 10:04 pm #

This post is just what I needed as I am wanting to install a couple of glass front cabinets in our kitchen and needed some ideas, so thanks heaps!
    Angex

27. LICS January 25, 2010 at 9:35 pm #

It's sort of the residential version of being transparent, I suppose? I love the look and it would give me an excuse to buy all new dishes! Of course, the cabinets with color on the interior are my fave… Thanks for assembling this! Sonu

28. Susan January 25, 2010 at 7:47 pm #

Hi Cristin,

I love the kitchens with the glass doors. If you have a chance you should head over to my most recent posting. A kitchen I just finished having installed. It's very much like what you've posted.
    Susan

29. Chic Coles (Cole Design) January 25, 2010 at 7:32 pm #

We have glass-front cabinets in our house in New Hampshire and my mom is obsessed with them! It is such a beautiful look and a great way to display your nice china!

30. Rebecca@Harmony and Home January 25, 2010 at 7:19 pm #

Oh, I love this look too. When I redid my kitchen about 7 years ago, I added some glass front cabinets. (Unfortunately I did natural cherry stained cabinets and now wish I had done a white kitchen) I especially love the Suzanne Kasler kitchens and the Decor Pad kitchen. Great post!

31. LindsB January 25, 2010 at 7:09 pm #

I love the way they look- my only issue with them is hiding all the mess. I guess I love it when there is a mix of closed cabinets and glass front ones- thats the perfect mix to me ๐Ÿ™‚

32. Erin January 25, 2010 at 6:25 pm #

I too just adore this look! What a great, drool-worthy collection! I especially love the ones with the painted backs. So pretty!

33. Centsational Girl January 25, 2010 at 6:16 pm #

I ADORE glass front cabinetry in kitchens. It adds such an air of elegance. Many people prefer the open shelving look instead. Admitedly, that look has its charm. But I like the formality of glass fronts. I have three glass front uppers in my white kitchen and recently had lights installed inside. Lovely ! Thanks for featuring all of these kitchens, I simply can't get enough of gorgeous images of kitchens. Excellent collection !

34. Laura Trevey January 25, 2010 at 5:46 pm #

Beautiful kitchens!! Love the green in the last image! xoxo