One Room Challenge Fall 2015 :: My Foyer

For the past few months I’ve been keeping a few secrets. The first is we’ve moved! You may have seen glimpses of our beloved ranch style home on the San Francisco Peninsula featured in Rue Magazine. We have so many fond memories of the house, neighborhood and community. It was a very difficult decision to move outside the San Francisco Bay Area and away for dear friends, but we were longing for a slower pace and to be closer to Lake Tahoe where I grew up. We were blessed to find a wonderful 1940s traditional style house in the Reno / Tahoe area that we fell in love with. The only catch is it needs a gut job ton of work. It’s the money pit an adventure! So when Linda of Calling it Home offered me a spot in her One Room Challenge (aka ORC) this fall, I jumped at the chance (that’s the 2nd big secret I’ve been keeping!). For those that don’t know, the ORC is a collection of 20 bloggers that take on the challenge of making over one room in six weeks.

One Room Challenge Fall 2015The first challenge for me in the process was determining which room would get the face-lift. The 1970s kitchen? The dis-functional laundry room? Our pink master bath? Every inch of this home and property is vintage and needs some TLC! I ended up deciding that the Foyer was a great place to start for several reasons. One, it welcomes our guests and is a great space to set the tone of the home. It is also a room that will not have any walls, windows or doors changed out or moved at a later date.

Over the course of the next few weeks, I will be sharing my design, the process and many of the sources used throughout. Each Wednesday, there will be a new blog post as well as Instagrams, Tweets and Facebook posts. I hope you will follow along!

Here’s a look at the space before – starting from the front door and leading up to the upstairs landing.

traditional front door // ORC before // www.simplifiedbee.comFoyer Before // ORC // www.simplifiedbee.comFoyer Before // ORC // www.simplifiedbee.comFoyer Before // ORC // www.simplifiedbee.comFoyer Before // ORC // www.simplifiedbee.comFoyer and Landing Before // ORC // www.simplifiedbee.com

I’m thrilled and honored to be among the following bloggers chosen for the One Room Challenge Fall 2015 edition!

ORC would like you to join in the fun too! Tomorrow, Thursday, October 8th, it’s the return of the One Room Challenge™ Linking Event. For six consecutive Thursday’s you show off your transformed room as well.

*all photos by Cristin Priest of Simplified Bee

**The One Room Challenge is Trademarked by Calling it Home

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

, , , , ,

29 Responses to One Room Challenge Fall 2015 :: My Foyer

1. Jennifer@The Pink Pagoda October 13, 2015 at 6:40 am #

This is going to be incredible! What fantastic bones and space you have here. I can’t wait to see what you do!

2. the zhush October 11, 2015 at 5:51 pm #

The bones of your new house are so great (congrats on the move) I love the direction that you are thinking of taking with the entry! Can’t wait to see what you do!

• Cristin October 12, 2015 at 10:56 am #

Thanks so much! xo cristin

3. Megan | Honey We're Home October 8, 2015 at 1:56 pm #

The foyer is a great place to start. I always love your work so I’m excited to see this transformation!

• Cristin October 8, 2015 at 2:42 pm #

Thanks so much Megan! Can’t wait to see what you have in store too!

xo
      cristin

4. Stephanie | DecoratorsBest October 8, 2015 at 7:16 am #

We’re so excited to see what you do with your foyer! You’ve got a great space to work with!

• Cristin October 8, 2015 at 9:13 am #

And holy cow, the fabric that I selected is over the top gorg!

xo
      cristin

5. Ellen from Ask Away October 8, 2015 at 4:51 am #

I love the wallpaper!!
    XO Ellen from Ask Away

• Cristin October 8, 2015 at 9:14 am #

Thanks so much Ellen!

xo
      cristin

6. Vanessa@Decor Happy October 7, 2015 at 8:23 pm #

Congrats on your new home! Can’t wait to see what you do. Keeping the wallpaper? 🙂 I’m sure the end result will be fab! Good luck to us all!

7. Naomi@DesignManifest October 7, 2015 at 7:09 pm #

Oh Mannnnn this room is so ready for a makeover.
    That being said, congrats on the new house! Loving the front facade. I’ve never been to Tahoe/Reno, but that’s not at all what I was expecting. Looking forward to see where you take this space!

• Cristin October 7, 2015 at 8:41 pm #

It’s true! This is not typical architecture around here. It’s a home that could be found anywhere in the US though 🙂

xo
      cristin

8. Roxanne October 7, 2015 at 7:05 pm #

Wow, your new house has great bones! I’d love to make that one over!

9. Holly Phillips October 7, 2015 at 5:48 pm #

I got distracted when I heard you moved to Tahoe area! Jealous…I want to move to a farm or ski area so badly. The house will be so chic. Cannot wait to see the transformation.

10. sherry October 7, 2015 at 4:59 pm #

Congrats on a beautiful new home. I think doing a makeover on the foyer is the best idea so I an excited to see how you handle this space!

• Cristin October 7, 2015 at 6:22 pm #

Thanks so much Sherry!

11. christine dovey October 7, 2015 at 1:33 pm #

You are totally living my dream. I’m dying to sell and move out from the city and buy a beautiful old house. From this post, I can see yours is STUNNING! And I love the foyer and definitely agree on your choice there. It’s the first thing people see so a great place to start on a whole house remodel. I can’t wait to see what you do!

• Cristin October 7, 2015 at 2:21 pm #

Awe, thanks so much Christine! Moving was a leap of faith!!!

xo
      cristin

12. Linda - Calling it Home October 7, 2015 at 12:49 pm #

We lived on the Peninsula in the Bay Area for seven years. I miss that house! Congratulations on your new home. You will have blogging material for a long time. I can’t wait to see you transform this space.

• Cristin October 7, 2015 at 2:20 pm #

Wow! We could have been neighbors! It was a hard area to leave, but we really love it here! And yes, I have years of blogging material in this home!

xo
      cristin

13. cassie {hi sugarplum} October 7, 2015 at 9:56 am #

Congrats on the gorgeous new house and move! I’m thrilled to be doing this with you, and know your transformation will be stunning!

14. Brenna@DomesticCharm October 7, 2015 at 9:21 am #

I can’t wait to follow along! Foyers can be tricky because they make such a statement when someone walks into your home. I know that yours will be spectacular, Cristin!

• Cristin October 7, 2015 at 9:37 am #

Thanks Brenna! I’ll be honest, I’m a little nervous about the process unveiling on the blog. Thanks for your support!

xo
      cristin

15. courtney {a thoughtful place} October 7, 2015 at 8:45 am #

What a gorgeous entry. I am so excited we are doing this together. I know it will be beautiful.

• Cristin October 7, 2015 at 9:18 am #

Thanks so much! So excited to be doing the ORC with you!

xo
      cristin

16. Lydia Marie Elizabeth October 7, 2015 at 8:28 am #

The Foyer is such an important space in a home. Love your space and am stoked to see what you’ll create! Great inspiration for my own work.

• Cristin October 7, 2015 at 8:40 am #

Thanks so much Lydia! Unveiling the process on the blog is exciting, but nerve-racking too!

xo
      crisitn

17. Erin @ whalingcitycottage October 7, 2015 at 5:52 am #

Oh my gosh, I love this space. And officially want to see the rest of the house. (I have two pink bathrooms and a pink dining room. Arggg. 1950’s). Can’t wait to see how your foyer turns out!

• Cristin October 7, 2015 at 5:56 am #

Ha! You have lots of pink too! It’s a color I love for any room, but not so much for my hubby 🙂

xo