Our Backyard Chicken Coop

baby chicks yellow brown
Back in August of 2010, I wrote an article on Keeping Backyard Chickens and discussed the idea of our family raising backyard chickens. Well this spring, we brought home two baby chicks that were hatched at the kids’ school. Their names are Fluffy and Chipmunk. It’s likely that Chipmunk is a hen, but not sure about Fluffy.

For weeks they lived in a small box in our home. At about nine weeks {when fully feathered}, the chicks out-grew their box and moved outside to their new coop.
doc woody diamond deuce
Originally my husband wanted to make the coop from scratch. Knowing how much time he has one his hands {wink}, I encouraged him to drop by a nearby feed store. He came home with a chicken coop designed by Doc Woody that only needed to be assembled. {smile}

doc woody text

This Doc Woody guy knows his poultry and we got a smile from his bio on the back of the box.

backyard chicken coop small
Here is the coop built and in our backyard. We hope it is secure enough to keep the raccoons out.

backyard chicken coop doc woody
The large galvanized barrel houses the birds’ water. We still need to hang it.

backyard chickens in coop
Here are our happy chickens in their new coop! We are crossing our fingers for some eggs in a few months.

Any advice on keeping backyard chickens is welcome!

10 Responses to Our Backyard Chicken Coop

1. Bromeliad June 21, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

Yay! Aren't they fun.

Keep an eye out for raccoons and other chicken lovers.

2. Laura@JourneyChic June 20, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

Goodness, they are awfully cute! Your kids must be having a blast with them. Looking forward to some omelet recipes from you in the coming weeks. 🙂

3. casey at loft and cottage June 17, 2011 at 5:57 pm #

Enjoy! I would love to have chickens, and goats, and other animals someday but for now will just watch and learn. Hope you share their progress, and yours in caring for them!

4. Janell @ Isabella and Max June 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm #

Look at you!! (Well, and the chicks!) How fun is this, and I have zero advice, but enjoy the fresh eggs! Janell

5. Elizabeth@themustardceiling June 17, 2011 at 4:54 am #

So cute. My mom has been talking about raising chickens for awhile, she hasn't taken the leap yet. Good luck, there is nothing better than fresh eggs.

6. Linda in AZ * June 16, 2011 at 4:33 pm #

*** Oh, how that FIRST PIC just WARMED MY HEART!!! You are soooo lucky to be able to enjoy these wonderous blessings!

I'm SO GLAD YOU SHARED!!!

Warmest,
    Linda in AZ *
    bellesmom1234@comcast.net

7. Allison June 16, 2011 at 6:01 am #

I've always been curious about raising chickens. You'll have to keep us updated on how they do!

8. Velvet and Linen June 16, 2011 at 3:06 am #

Your chickens are adorable! I hope they are hens 🙂 I seem to have a knack for raising roosters, as you know. Looking forward to reading about the next phase of your story…eggs? xo Brooke

9. Marianne {Style For Living} June 15, 2011 at 9:23 pm #

So thrilled to have found your lovely blog today. How fun to have chicks in your backyard. We had them when I was young, so much fun! Happy to be your newest follower.

10. Kathysue June 15, 2011 at 7:30 pm #

How fun for your family, I love the idea of having fresh eggs, but my hubby does not like the idea of having chickens. Enjoy yours I will have to live through you and Brooke of Velvet and Linens blog stories, Kathysue