11 Design Trends for 2011

Yesterday I was over the moon to be included in a San Francisco Chronicle article by Anh-Minh Le titled, 11 Top Trends for 2011. Eleven design bloggers {most from the San Francisco Bay Area} were asked to discuss their top decorating ideas for 2011. Small homes, nostalgia for books and cultural layering were some trends that made the list. Here’s mine {and you may have guessed it would have an organizing slant!}:
organizing design trends for 2011
1. A magnetic board with a bold geometric print {Jonathan Adler}, 2. French vintage basket {1st Dibs}, 3. Kuta tin boxes {Serena & Lily}, 4. IKat mini bowls {Athropologie}
double duty decor ideas“Controlling clutter has never been more chic. With organizing products from trend-setting brands like Jonathan Adler and Serena & Lily, our homes can be functional and look fabulous at the same time. Organization is not just about file folders or plain boxes and baskets. Items that do double duty – high function and beautiful form – are in high demand. For 2011, it’s all about bold patterns, worldly pieces and vintage finds. Finding everyday decorative items to help stay organized is also trending. For example, a handful of small decorative bowls in a drawer can be used to organize jewelry, craft items or office supplies.”
To find out what other design bloggers’ are trending for 2011, visit the full article at SFGate here.

Happy New Year!

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

22 Responses to 11 Design Trends for 2011

1. Audrey Gonzalez January 13, 2011 at 6:48 pm #

I love the magnetic bulletin board! so chic! 🙂

2. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle January 7, 2011 at 6:38 pm #

The tin boxes have to be my favorite. I love stylish storage solutions, especially ones that let you hide the ugly stuff!

3. Bromeliad January 5, 2011 at 10:34 pm #

Congrats. You're big time!

4. journeychic.com January 5, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

Congrats! I was in SF over the holidays – such a great city!

5. Deb's mind January 5, 2011 at 9:22 am #

Great post Cristin. I love how you make organization seem so simple and interesting!! I gave you an award on my blog today. Check it out.

6. Michaela January 5, 2011 at 7:10 am #

Such a fun guest post! I stay organized by putting everything on my big cork calender I made for my wall. I also keep a schedule with alarms in my phone (: To keep my blogging schedule organized, I make a list of what I'm posting on each day and stick it on my desk so I always know what I'm posting about! I love organizing. I'm like Monica from the TV show FRIENDS (:

7. Allison January 5, 2011 at 1:21 am #

Congratulations on being featured, Cristin! I just popped over and read your article. You make organizing interesting and fun which is a great approach to something that can be challenging for some of us. I am going to use some of your ideas as I approach organzing our new kitchen and out master closet which needs a lot of help. One of these days it will get a makeover but for now we need to work with what we have. I love those Ikat bowls!

8. AB HOME Interiors January 5, 2011 at 12:43 am #

That JA board is gorgeous, functional and fun! I agree that organization has never been so chic. Congrats on the inclusion. happy New year!

9. Wendy January 4, 2011 at 4:27 pm #

great post Cristin!!! going to check out the links now 🙂

address script giveaway via my blog… come on over & check it out!!! it's open to the US too! 🙂

10. Maria January 4, 2011 at 8:23 am #

absolutely fabulous!

11. Megan {Honey We're Home} January 4, 2011 at 5:42 am #

I have the MomAgenda in orange, but I never use it! I just like looking at it! I always end up using a spiral notebook! Maybe I can change that:)

12. Eileen January 4, 2011 at 4:33 am #

Congratulations! 🙂 Oh, I love my planner with Franklin Covey refills! I bought it two years ago at B&N. It has a gorgeous fabric cover. I can't go anywhere without it. I love the ones you posted at Centsational Girl. I much prefer writing in my book, rather than putting it on the computer.

13. Centsational Girl January 4, 2011 at 3:27 am #

That is soooooo fabulous Cristin, and you are so correct! I love the global influences and bolder patterns mixed in with classic pieces, just like you said. Bravo, and congratulations!

xo
    Kate

14. pretty pink tulips January 4, 2011 at 3:14 am #

Cristin, Congratulations on your inclusion in the SF Chronicle artile!!! Starting 2011 off with a bang!

I've got the Veterans Organziation coming by tomorrow to take away BAGS and BAGS of stuff. Love cleaning out!!!

Happy New Year!!
    Elizabeth

15. Janell @ Isabella and Max January 4, 2011 at 2:28 am #

A big day for you!! Congrats, love this angle on organizing, makes it appealing from a design point of view!
    Janell

16. WallFry January 4, 2011 at 1:23 am #

Just stumbled accross this blog, it's fabulous. Love those bowls.
    I am relying on a wall full of Year Planner – not very stylish at all.

17. 2 by Design January 4, 2011 at 12:12 am #

Love this! As a woman about to have a baby in a two bedroom, ahem, tiny condo, I need allll the help I can get. Eeek!

18. CDS January 4, 2011 at 12:08 am #

i NEED that board!!!!! xoxo

19. Kris January 4, 2011 at 12:05 am #

Couldn't be without my smartphone and gcalendar. No more lost appointment cards and always knowing my schedule.

20. Averill January 3, 2011 at 10:32 pm #

Not so stylish but I live and die by my Outlook calendar! 🙂

Happy New Year, Cristin!

21. pk @ Room Remix January 3, 2011 at 8:57 pm #

Congratulations! I like the idea of double-duty decor, and those Anthropologie Ikat bowls are awesome.

22. Jen@Organized-Design January 3, 2011 at 7:42 pm #

What a great article. And I love the Mom Agenda planners. I've ordered my planner from them for years now!