Design Trend: Elephant Home Décor and Feng Shui Tips

In the East, the mighty elephant is viewed as a sacred animal. As the largest land mammal, elephants are symbols of power, strength and wisdom. No wonder there is a surge in designer décor items inspired by this majestic animal. I am sure Babar and Dumbo are thrilled!

Interior Design by M. Design Interiors
Looking for chic ways to incorporate this symbolic creature into your home?  Here is a round-up of some stylish and contemporary home accessories featuring the elephant. And pay attention to the elephant’s trunk and read some interesting Feng Shui tips at the end of this post.

Two Elephants Rice Pillow by Koko

Ready to add an elephant figurine or pillow in your interior design? If so, here are some fun tips for those who follow Feng Shui principals:
“For good luck, protection and strength to the household, place a statue of an elephant, or a pair of elephants, at the front door,” advises Asian Feng Shui in an article on Feng Shui Elephant Tips. “When elephants are used in such a way, they are referred to as “Elephants of Many Blessings.” These elephants should have their trunks facing upwards as that represents prosperity, good luck and victory, although elephants with their trunks facing downward represent longevity and conception. The direction of the trunk can affect the chi within the space, so it is important to choose an elephant that will bring about the energy you wish to have in your household or office.”
Good to know… now off to check the direction of a little elephant figurine’s trunk.

20 Responses to Design Trend: Elephant Home Décor and Feng Shui Tips

1. jeanekennethsalvosa August 19, 2010 at 4:45 am #

i love those decoration elephant i send this site for my sister because she want elephant. and thank you for your feng shui tips.. thank you continue want you done guys 🙂windspinner

2. Leo June 4, 2010 at 10:22 am #

Very good article about Feng Shui Tips. Thank you.

3. jack June 4, 2010 at 9:37 am #

I have visited a office which had theme of elephant. The furniture, curtain, covers everything was based on theme of elephant. And it looks pretty cool.
    Office supplies

4. My Notting Hill June 3, 2010 at 10:41 pm #

Love those elephant Eames chairs – so cute!

5. Struggler June 2, 2010 at 5:23 pm #

These are so pretty – love the Rice Pillow especially.
    This would make a lovely theme in a child's room I think.
    I actually have a little elephant on my desk at work… his trunk is up!

6. Hello Lover... May 28, 2010 at 5:22 am #

I had a babysitter when i was young who collected elephants. I always loved them. One of the Lonny magazines had a great elephant table similar to that tonic home one – definitely a statement piece!

7. melissa @ den design studio May 27, 2010 at 10:58 pm #

Thanks for the extra information on the meaning differences between the placement of the trunk. I've always heard that an elephant with its trunk up was good but didn't know the “benefits” of an elephant with its trunk down.

8. susan said so May 27, 2010 at 10:57 pm #

oh, i love the white ele table! and the top image has been taunting me from my files for a couple weeks now. thanks for all the fun finds!

xox,
    susan

9. Natalie Catherine May 27, 2010 at 2:31 am #

post after my own heart..i LOVE elephants. ever since i was a kid. i used to want one as a pet. the closest i got was a wind up one when i was little hehe. i want to put one of those sweet elephant pillows in my baby's nursery! adorable.

10. fourwallsandaroof.com May 26, 2010 at 10:31 pm #

I love the Jonathan Adler salt and pepper set – spotted those in the window of his store yesterday and I'm obsessed! This is a great round-up.

11. ashlina {the decorista} May 26, 2010 at 9:33 pm #

i am obsessed with elephants so this post = MY BLISS!!!! 🙂

ps come by and enter my giveaway for a zebra rug…thedecorista.com

12. journeychic.com May 26, 2010 at 8:04 pm #

Great finds! I love the crib bedding and those salt & pepper shakers. Too cute!

13. Laura Trevey May 26, 2010 at 5:48 pm #

The two elephants pillow by Koko is awesome!

14. CDS May 26, 2010 at 5:28 pm #

I am thinking of doing a chic animal theme in my nursery…and will definately add elephants. Currently there are giraffe's which are so stylish in their own way. Thanks for sharing!! 🙂

15. Kelle Dame May 26, 2010 at 4:59 pm #

This was a fun and educational time! Now I'm in the need of an elephant! I'm sure my daughter would love one too 🙂

16. Kathysue May 26, 2010 at 4:36 pm #

Love the elephant tables and the nursery bedding is adorable!! You have opened my eyes to elephants in design, Happy Wednesday,Kathysue

17. Cashon&Co May 26, 2010 at 4:29 pm #

this was fun! love elephants!!

18. Janell @ Isabella and Max May 26, 2010 at 3:54 pm #

I'm sending my Dad a link to this post, and then driving over to his house to load the trunk with some elephants. He has a great collection! Janell

19. rikshaw design May 26, 2010 at 3:28 pm #

well you know i love 'em! i think those salt and pepper shakers are too darling..must get!

20. pve design May 26, 2010 at 3:23 pm #

I love the whimsy an elephant can add to any room or doorway!
    Makes me smile just to think of them in a house.
    pve