Smart Eat-in Kitchen Remodel by Louise Brooks

I love white kitchens and was naturally drawn to this beauty featured in Traditional Home. Connecticut-based architectural designer Louise Brooks created an open and cheery eat-in kitchen for her sister, Joan Gullans Pluck. The new kitchen renovation beautifully compliments the architecture of the 1930s shingle-style house, provides more storage and work space, and opens up the space to bring in more natural light.

A trio of stunning copper antique ship lights hang above the island. The copper finish inspired the cheery gold color for the walls which was layered and combed by a decorative painter to create a subtle crosshatch pattern. The paint was a custom blend of Benjamin Moore’s Butterscotch 2157-30 and Glowing Apricot 165.

Brooks opens up the kitchen by adding a breakfast nook tucked under a window with classic wood trim and crown molding in step with the style of the 1930’s home. An antique oval table and contrasting white-painted chairs are added to a built-in window seat {which serves double duty too by storing cooking supplies}.

A sunny and cozy sitting area was created just off the kitchen and is a great place for entertaining guests. The custom canary sofa by Tudor House Furniture is the perfect scale for the space.

The homeowner has lovely a view of the sitting area and wood-burning fireplace from the farm sink by Klaff’s located in the middle of the kitchen island topped with Calacatta Marble. Custom cabinets cleverly house paper towels and a space-saving pull-out trash bin below.

For even more storage, Brooks designed a pantry that connects the kitchen to an outdoor terrace. I love the glass-front cabinets and vintage style faucet added to the prep sink.

What is not to love about this gorgeous kitchen?

*images courtesy of Traditional Home

18 Responses to Smart Eat-in Kitchen Remodel by Louise Brooks

1. 6ad30918-8714-11e0-9708-000bcdcb471e May 25, 2011 at 9:17 pm #

This is gorgeous! Love the colors. And my favorite: the paper towel dispenser! But how do you change out the roll? Is it like the toilet paper dispenser where you push it in and then pull out one side?

2. Marija April 26, 2010 at 1:35 pm #

This is the first I've seen of this kitchen and I am in love. The integrated paper towel dispenser is genius!

3. pve design April 21, 2010 at 1:13 am #

Wonderful Kitchen, so cheery and I love that concealed paper towel holder!
    Glorious buttery yellow color.

4. Susie @ Maddie's Nest April 21, 2010 at 12:17 am #

How did I miss this kitchen. It is beautiful. My kitchen/sunroom layout is similar….so I am filing this in my inspiration files. Thanks for sharing.

5. Struggler April 20, 2010 at 11:50 pm #

Agreed – looks highly practical, as well as beautiful.

6. VictoriaArt April 20, 2010 at 8:18 pm #

A classic beauty! The perfect yellow, so happy!

7. April 20, 2010 at 6:44 pm #

I love white kitchens, too, and hope I have one someday. The yellow looks really nice in this one – all the white keeps it from being too overpowering.

8. thelennoxx April 20, 2010 at 4:16 pm #

I LOVE the built in stove area. So much better than those visible kitchen vents!

9. Splendid Willow April 20, 2010 at 4:13 pm #

I am so with you! White or very light gray. Lovely! (I am hoping to have my own cabinets painted this spring/early summer).

Love the copper pendants!

ox, Mon

Added you to my blog roll.

10. Malka Sabroe-JoHanson April 20, 2010 at 4:35 am #

I love that paper towel dispenser. The best and clean looking one I have ever seen. Other wise I don't want to see paper towel racks out in view!

11. the red bungalow April 19, 2010 at 9:05 pm #

Thoes copper lights are SO COOL! I just found your blog and I love it! Thinking you are a MUST follow. :)

Bre @

12. The Boese Family April 19, 2010 at 6:21 pm #

Love the built in paper towel holder! That will for sure be in my dream kitchen some day. Thanks for sharing!

13. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle April 19, 2010 at 6:19 pm #

What a gorgeous kitchen. It makes me want to paint my cabinets white.

14. Averill April 19, 2010 at 3:50 pm #

Absolutely beautiful kitchen, Cristin! I particularly love the copper light fixtures. It really warms up the white kitchen (and shows that mixing metals can look fantastic).

15. Centsational Girl April 19, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

LOVE that kitchen ! That paint color is so cheerful, and of course, white brick pattern backsplashes are perfection !

16. Design Esquire April 19, 2010 at 3:11 pm #

I love this kitchen. The island, molding and built-ins are just gorgeous. It's so cheery too!

17. The Zhush April 19, 2010 at 3:01 pm #

This kitchen has been in my inspirational files since it came out in the magazine. I based my entire kitchen renovation on many of the elements Louise used here. She is a local architect, and has designed some truly fabulous homes nearby…I am a big fan of Ms. Brooks!

18. Isabella & Max Rooms April 19, 2010 at 2:53 pm #

The kitchen stands out with the addition of such a cheerful wall color and all the beautiful woodwork. I'd take a smaller space any day over a large one if it had such stunning character! Thanks for sharing…Janell