Smart Eat-in Kitchen Remodel by Louise Brooks

I love white kitchens and was naturally drawn to this beauty featured in Traditional Home. Connecticut-based architectural designer Louise Brooks created an open and cheery eat-in kitchen for her sister, Joan Gullans Pluck. The new kitchen renovation beautifully compliments the architecture of the 1930s shingle-style house, provides more storage and work space, and opens up the space to bring in more natural light.

A trio of stunning copper antique ship lights hang above the island. The copper finish inspired the cheery gold color for the walls which was layered and combed by a decorative painter to create a subtle crosshatch pattern. The paint was a custom blend of Benjamin Moore’s Butterscotch 2157-30 and Glowing Apricot 165.

Brooks opens up the kitchen by adding a breakfast nook tucked under a window with classic wood trim and crown molding in step with the style of the 1930′s home. An antique oval table and contrasting white-painted chairs are added to a built-in window seat {which serves double duty too by storing cooking supplies}.

A sunny and cozy sitting area was created just off the kitchen and is a great place for entertaining guests. The custom canary sofa by Tudor House Furniture is the perfect scale for the space.

The homeowner has lovely a view of the sitting area and wood-burning fireplace from the farm sink by Klaff’s located in the middle of the kitchen island topped with Calacatta Marble. Custom cabinets cleverly house paper towels and a space-saving pull-out trash bin below.

For even more storage, Brooks designed a pantry that connects the kitchen to an outdoor terrace. I love the glass-front cabinets and vintage style faucet added to the prep sink.

What is not to love about this gorgeous kitchen?

*images courtesy of Traditional Home

18 Responses to Smart Eat-in Kitchen Remodel by Louise Brooks

1. Isabella & Max Rooms April 19, 2010 at 2:53 pm #

The kitchen stands out with the addition of such a cheerful wall color and all the beautiful woodwork. I'd take a smaller space any day over a large one if it had such stunning character! Thanks for sharing…Janell

2. The Zhush April 19, 2010 at 3:01 pm #

This kitchen has been in my inspirational files since it came out in the magazine. I based my entire kitchen renovation on many of the elements Louise used here. She is a local architect, and has designed some truly fabulous homes nearby…I am a big fan of Ms. Brooks!

3. Design Esquire April 19, 2010 at 3:11 pm #

I love this kitchen. The island, molding and built-ins are just gorgeous. It's so cheery too!

4. Centsational Girl April 19, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

LOVE that kitchen ! That paint color is so cheerful, and of course, white brick pattern backsplashes are perfection !

5. Averill April 19, 2010 at 3:50 pm #

Absolutely beautiful kitchen, Cristin! I particularly love the copper light fixtures. It really warms up the white kitchen (and shows that mixing metals can look fantastic).

6. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle April 19, 2010 at 6:19 pm #

What a gorgeous kitchen. It makes me want to paint my cabinets white.

7. The Boese Family April 19, 2010 at 6:21 pm #

Love the built in paper towel holder! That will for sure be in my dream kitchen some day. Thanks for sharing!

8. the red bungalow April 19, 2010 at 9:05 pm #

Thoes copper lights are SO COOL! I just found your blog and I love it! Thinking you are a MUST follow. :)

Bre @ http://theredbungalow.blogspot.com

9. Malka Sabroe-JoHanson April 20, 2010 at 4:35 am #

I love that paper towel dispenser. The best and clean looking one I have ever seen. Other wise I don't want to see paper towel racks out in view!

10. Splendid Willow April 20, 2010 at 4:13 pm #

I am so with you! White or very light gray. Lovely! (I am hoping to have my own cabinets painted this spring/early summer).

Love the copper pendants!

ox, Mon

Added you to my blog roll.

11. thelennoxx April 20, 2010 at 4:16 pm #

I LOVE the built in stove area. So much better than those visible kitchen vents!

12. journeychic.com April 20, 2010 at 6:44 pm #

I love white kitchens, too, and hope I have one someday. The yellow looks really nice in this one – all the white keeps it from being too overpowering.

13. VictoriaArt April 20, 2010 at 8:18 pm #

A classic beauty! The perfect yellow, so happy!

XX
    Victoria

14. Struggler April 20, 2010 at 11:50 pm #

Agreed – looks highly practical, as well as beautiful.

15. Susie @ Maddie's Nest April 21, 2010 at 12:17 am #

How did I miss this kitchen. It is beautiful. My kitchen/sunroom layout is similar….so I am filing this in my inspiration files. Thanks for sharing.

16. pve design April 21, 2010 at 1:13 am #

Wonderful Kitchen, so cheery and I love that concealed paper towel holder!
    Glorious buttery yellow color.
    pve

17. Marija April 26, 2010 at 1:35 pm #

This is the first I've seen of this kitchen and I am in love. The integrated paper towel dispenser is genius!

Marija

18. 6ad30918-8714-11e0-9708-000bcdcb471e May 25, 2011 at 9:17 pm #

This is gorgeous! Love the colors. And my favorite: the paper towel dispenser! But how do you change out the roll? Is it like the toilet paper dispenser where you push it in and then pull out one side?