Interior Design Magazines – Toss Them the Right Way

Interior designer magazines.

We love to read them.

We swoon over them.

We agonize on purging them.

The day will come when you need to reduce the number of magazines piling up and the question is, can we recylce them? In celebration of the 40th Earth Day {April 22, 2010} Earth911’s giving green tips daily and their 34th tip answers our question:

Fact:

According to the Magazine Publishers of America, only 20 percent of magazines are recycled from the home. Once recycled, magazines cannot be used to make new magazines. However, they do help to make newspaper, tissue, writing paper and paperboard.

Do Something:

Many consumers are afraid to put magazines into paper bins, but the glossy paper does not contaminate paper recycling. Magazines are now accepted by all curbside recycling programs that collect paper. Find out more about your local recycling program using Earth911.

16 Responses to Interior Design Magazines – Toss Them the Right Way

1. Bromeliad April 19, 2010 at 9:19 pm #

Oh. But I so hoard them. Sorry, earth.

2. pk @ Room Remix April 16, 2010 at 2:15 am #

I keep my mags for a LONG time, but when I'm ready to part with them, they go into the recycle bin.

3. Jen of Made By Girl April 13, 2010 at 9:35 pm #

GREAT Tips….I rarely EVER throw mine out but when i do….that is the way.

4. howardwigginshearthstoneinteriordesign April 13, 2010 at 1:28 am #

I am an Interior Designer with Hearthstone Interior Design in Nashville Tn,I do hold onto my magazine also,because good design can stand the test of time.But,when I am ready to discard them, I take them to a doctor`s waiting room.

5. Struggler April 12, 2010 at 7:15 pm #

Once read (and sighed over), I usually bring my magazines into work and leave them in the kitchen for the next person to enjoy. Here's hoping they recycle them, once they're done!

6. Chic Coles April 12, 2010 at 6:09 pm #

We have so many magazines around our house. We should go through them, tear out our favorite images and recycle the rest! Thanks for the tip!

7. Erin April 12, 2010 at 5:32 pm #

Oh good to know! I have been putting all of my magazines and catalogs in the recycling bin, but I'm glad that they are actually being taken care of!

8. Cristin April 12, 2010 at 4:57 pm #

Donating your old mags to a library is a great suggestion! Wow, and making it a fundraiser is brilliant. Thanks labibliotecaria for your comment.

xo,
    cristin

9. Laura Trevey April 12, 2010 at 1:38 pm #

Thank you for the reminder… great post, and so important ~~

xoxo Laura

10. Isabella & Max Rooms April 12, 2010 at 4:33 am #

I tend to tear out my favorite images and recycle what remains. If I didn't recycle my kids would certainly set me straight! Janell

11. labibliotecaria April 12, 2010 at 4:18 am #

Donate them to your local library. Many libraries will let other people check them out, or will donate them to their Friends for sale, which will help your local library, which is probably hurting for funds, to buy a new book or two. The Friends group at the library where I work raised over 100K in one of its semi-annual sales last October.

12. Karena April 12, 2010 at 12:06 am #

Cristin, It is hard however I just run out of space, my books are another issue!

I have an interview with Artist Robert Anders up on my site that is fascinating.

Karena
    Art by Karena

13. Mary @ RoomPolish April 11, 2010 at 9:53 pm #

it's so hard to get rid of my beloved magazines! I even feel guilty tearing out inspiration pages….why? That's so silly!
    Thanks for the tip though–it's a great reminder!

14. thelennoxx April 11, 2010 at 9:32 pm #

Nice post! I hate getting rid of mags, I like to flip through them every once in a while when I have “forgotten” I've already read them =)

15. The Zhush April 11, 2010 at 9:25 pm #

I hold on to mine too! One of my very few hoarder traits! (but I toss/recycle all my gazillion catalogs…)

16. Susan April 11, 2010 at 8:28 pm #

Okay… I have to admit I have a serious problem throwing out my shelter magazines… I hold on to them for years. I have literally stacks and stacks with more accumulating monthly via neverending subscriptions.

Am I the only one suffering from not being able to part with the magazines I love?
    cheers