Gorgeous Hand Painted Designer Floors by Billet Collins

Do you remember this cover of Veranda January/February 2009? The sitting room features a stunning painted floor by Washington, DC’s most influential decorative painting studios, Billet Collins.

Billet Collins is known for their innovative hand painted finishes and dramatic patterns as shown in the dining room above and previously featured in Designer Dining Rooms and Decorating Tips.

In addition to painting gorgeous murals and textiles, Billet Collins loves to create painted floors and it’s one of their specialties. Kellie Hodges of Billet Collins explains, “The layout is extremely important to us so we use a lot of math and geometry to make it layout, and to make it perfect we practice a little illusion!” The foyer above is a beautiful example of one of Billet Collins’ geometric painted floors.

They do not use stains, but use custom tinted glazes to coordinate with the wood tones that give the artists better control. This allows for the grain to still come through and a natural progression of colors.

In this foyer, Billet Collins painted the wood floor in vibrant colors that are also either sheer colors or opaque for a more painted effect.

The process is easy. First the floors are first “screened” {a light sanding} to provide some tooth. The the floors receive one coat of sealant to keep the glazes from running into the actual wood, which keeps the colors from bleeding and the pattern crisp. Next the pattern is applied {usually a couple of days} and then the top coats go on. Billet Collins also likes to use a water based urethane so our colors don’t yellow.

I am loving this look. How about you?

If you’d like to use or publish any photos or material from this site, please contact me, credit Simplified Bee™ and kindly link back to this blog.

18 Responses to Gorgeous Hand Painted Designer Floors by Billet Collins

1. Raindancer March 29, 2010 at 9:19 pm #

Thanks to you all for your kind comments and a special thanks to Simplified Bee for such a great article on our painted floors. It's a great pleasure to do the work but even more to have it appreciated!
    Best,
    Kellie at Billet Collins

2. Andrika King March 29, 2010 at 4:57 am #

I can't get enough of these floors!

3. Bromeliad March 27, 2010 at 10:53 pm #

I think people shoud slide on their bellies across a floor like that. They are too nice for walking on.

4. Chic Coles March 26, 2010 at 3:54 pm #

These floors are stunning! I would love to have a geometric pattern in wood floors somewhere in my house!

5. Pinecone Camp March 26, 2010 at 2:39 pm #

Ooh la la! Incredible. I'd like a painted floor in our front hall.

6. Cashon&Co March 26, 2010 at 1:01 pm #

i remember this well, as i used these pictures as inspiration for a client's floor in their entry. 🙂 love to see it again, never tire of gorgeous things!

7. Annie@A View On Design March 26, 2010 at 7:13 am #

OMG some of these floors are divine – the hallway is gorgeous!

8. aroundmytable March 26, 2010 at 6:51 am #

Hi, just found your blog and find it great! Nice ideas, every mother needs that. I will be coming back here to read more.
    Take care, Anna @ Around My Table

9. sue March 26, 2010 at 6:16 am #

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the white painted foyer floor the most, but all are wonderful. As a former decorative painter I know first hand how hard working on a floor can be on the artist, but the results speak for themselves!

10. Averill March 26, 2010 at 1:37 am #

I absolutely love these floors! I really like that the natural grain and tones of the wood come through — I generally dislike wood floors painted in opague, matte colors.

11. Naomi March 25, 2010 at 11:20 pm #

so pretty. i really enjoy just the simple checkborad pattern!

12. La Maison Fou March 25, 2010 at 9:28 pm #

Loved those floor, just stopped by the blog. I am reading some of your older posts, thanks for the inspiration.
    L.

13. Kathysue March 25, 2010 at 9:25 pm #

Cristin, these are amazing and so well done, just stunning, Kathysue

14. Living It At Home March 25, 2010 at 7:17 pm #

I have always wanted a painted floor. These are very pretty. Thanks for sharing the process. Maybe in my next home I will try it before we move in!

15. pk @ Room Remix March 25, 2010 at 6:24 pm #

I love painted floors, but would have thought some of these were stained. They do a great job!

16. thelennoxx March 25, 2010 at 6:11 pm #

I absolutely LOVE it! Thank you so much for sharing this, a true delight to look at! Love how the grain comes through, oh so pretty =)

17. Centsational Girl March 25, 2010 at 4:33 pm #

Those are absolutely gorgeous, I can only imagine the work that goes into those floors, but in the end, simply stunning !

Kate

18. The Zhush March 25, 2010 at 4:20 pm #

Am so obsessed with this look, a few years back we hired a pro to come in and do the exact same thing to our foyer floor (bottom photo). Its one of my favorite things about our house!