Holiday Organizing Ideas: Storing Ornaments Safely

Holiday clean-up is a chore many of us dread and can’t ignore. Packing and storing Christmas tree ornaments is a project that takes some planning and time. There are several storage options to help you pack away ornaments neatly and safely until next year.

Up for doing-it-yourself? Martha Stewart uses corrugated cardboard, paper cups and egg cartons to covert a standard plastic storage bin into a container perfect for housing our most fragile ornaments.

Who said storage can’t be stylish? The beautifully patterned jacquard fabric of the Jubilee Ornament Storage Chests makes them easy to spot when it comes time to trim the tree.

This space-saving holiday storage box consists of three stackable trays with adjustable dividers to accommodate as many as 48 ornaments. I like that the clear body of this Christmas storage box allows you view the contents easily.

These Archival Ornament Storage Boxes provide secure storage and protect your holiday treasures from damage due to ultraviolet light and migrant acid.

Now that you have organized your Christmas ornaments, are you still buried in ribbons and gift wrap? If you need ideas on storing holiday gift wrap, go here. For more DIY ideas, go here.

Happy holidays, happy organizing!

, , , ,

14 Responses to Holiday Organizing Ideas: Storing Ornaments Safely

1. CeceliaMc January 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm #

I had a terrible thing happen with a see-through container.

I stupidly stored some years-old homemade school ornaments from my daughter in an opaque container. They were noticably faded the next year.

I NEVER use them now, for ANYTHING.

2. Laura Casey Interiors January 2, 2010 at 1:24 am #

I am going back to Charlotte tomorrow and need to reorganize all of my Christmas decorations that need to be put away. thanks for the motivation and happy new year!

3. fromtherightbank.com December 31, 2009 at 9:16 pm #

So much better than throwing them all in a box(!) Happy new year, Cristin! I'm looking forward to visiting you in 2010.

4. Lovely Scribbles December 31, 2009 at 9:08 pm #

What great tips, Cristin! This is exactly what I'll be tackling tomorrow. Uff! I love Martha's practical storage tips, but I'm totally digging the Jubilee storage chests. Thanks for sharing, and Happy New Year!!

5. carlee December 31, 2009 at 3:51 pm #

Such wonderful ideas! I still need to pack ours away…

6. LesleySW December 31, 2009 at 6:30 am #

I use those triple-decker plastic totes you're showing for a couple of my trees and then some larger plastic ornament boxes for my larger trees. The bigger ones have cardboard dividers that are perfect for protecting ornaments.

I also use paper towels and newspapers to wrap up the more breakable ornaments.

I pack by room, labeling each box as I go along.

7. DoxaHome.com December 31, 2009 at 3:12 am #

If only I were so organized….I need Cristin!!

Happy New Year sweets!
    Jaime

8. Laura Trevey December 31, 2009 at 1:37 am #

The red and white storage bins are gorgeous!!
    I would not want to hide them in a closet ๐Ÿ™‚

xoxo

9. Haven and Home December 31, 2009 at 12:31 am #

It is funny I am reading this now because I am about to take down the tree and I was just thinking I needed a better system!

10. the southern hostess December 30, 2009 at 9:45 pm #

I dread this task every year. Thanks for the tips. Love your blog! So glad I found you!

11. Averill December 30, 2009 at 7:15 pm #

I HATE putting up holiday decorations, but I suppose it's similar to unpacking after returning from a great vacation: there's no anticipation and excitement to get through the chore.

12. Ideezine December 30, 2009 at 5:32 pm #

Always love a good storage post. It has become so much easier to store and be organized and for the new year it's a great start.

13. Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life December 30, 2009 at 4:48 pm #

I left all of mine up which means i have to deal with it all when I get back to NYC… grrr.

14. thelennoxx December 30, 2009 at 2:44 pm #

Fantastic ideas! I usually store the ornaments in the containers I bought them in, but it would be nice to have a large “jewelry box” where everything is super easy to find! Happy New Year by the way!!