Colorful Designer Front Doors and Paint Samples

Have you thought about painting your front door? It can be a great place to add color and communicate your personal sense of style. Lately, I have been attracted to colorful front doors. Here are some examples paired with a similar paint color to help you in the selection process.

This sweet pink front door looks great with the cottage’s gray shingle siding and white trim – pink would certainly not go with just any color scheme. It definitely evokes a welcoming, relaxed and more feminine feeling. Now picture this same door in black. Still a great color choice, but would give off a more formal feeling. Thanks to The Pinque, Inc Diaries for this lovely image!

Here is a striking luscious red door by designer Suzanne Tucker. She used a high quality gloss by Dutch Boy that resists dirt, oil and grease. The red really works with the gray siding and white trim. In Feng Shui, a red door symbolizes the mouth of the home. It is thought a red door attracts chi – positive energy – to the house. We all can use some of that!

This Baltimore home with dark gray siding and white trim – hey a pattern here! – looks stylish and modern with a vibrant front door in orange. The color orange denotes energy, warmth and cheerfulness. An orange front door would also look great with another opposing exterior color scheme like light blue siding and navy blue trim.

Sunny, cheery and inviting. This natural brick home with white trim looks stunning with a bright canary yellow door. If you like this look Benjamin Moore’s Yellow Tone might do the trick.

This home found on Real Simple was painted a softer yellow. The pale yellow accent is a perfect choice for the muted gray shingle siding and white trim. Love it.

This chic foyer designed by Albert Hadley features a bright chartreuse front door. It is not clear what color the exterior siding and trim is, but this door color would look great with shades of gray, blue or brown with a white trim.

Designer Kathryn Ireland brightens a Spanish Colonial Revival in Southern California with a stunning teal painted door. It is a perfect color selection for the home’s white exterior.

The front door of designer Miles Reed’s New York townhouse has been blogged about many times before, but it is one of my favorites. The soft shade of turquoise is brilliant with the brick in muted gray and trim in white. The door’s nickel hardware is exquisite too. A turquoise door would also look great on a house with tan siding and white white trim.
What color do you like for a front door?

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

, ,

21 Responses to Colorful Designer Front Doors and Paint Samples

1. MaineMommy.com April 23, 2012 at 3:19 am #

I fell in love thanks to your post and just updated our front door in a gorgeous yellow! You can check out my transformation here:

Thanks for the inspiration!

2. colleen January 23, 2012 at 11:07 pm #

Any idea what color the muted gray shingle is no the Real Simple gray w/ yellow door? I am definitely interested in learning more about this color and any help would be so appreciated!

3. Alli August 14, 2010 at 12:38 am #

This is such a helpful post. We just stripped the paint on our 1920's wood door that is full of character. I still haven't been able to decide on a color though! I have a reddish brick home that has brown siding… I can't find anything that looks modern and cute to go with it! any ideas?

4. Maria Killam December 30, 2009 at 4:51 am #

What a wonderful post, I love your blog – where did you find colour numbers to match them? So great!!

5. DesignTies October 15, 2009 at 2:16 pm #

I'm a big fan of colourful front doors ๐Ÿ™‚ So many of the houses in our neighbourhood have white doors — that's so boring!!

Our house is white brick with grey brick trim, so the only place I can really add colour to it is on the front door. Which I've done — our front door is purple!! Rare Wine by Valspar. The colour changes a lot depending on the light and how close you are to the door. It looks like a really dark purple from the street, and more of a red-violet close up. If you'd like to see how it looks, I posted a picture on our blog:

Random stuff

Kelly

6. Jamie October 15, 2009 at 12:57 pm #

Love those doors! I never would have been able to imagine a pink front door, but that one looks amazing!
    I am boring, always painting my doors black.

7. Chic Coles (Cole Design) October 15, 2009 at 12:37 pm #

What a great post. Love the way you gave the paint colors to match the doors. Reed comes in first with that paint color and door knocker.

8. Shandell's October 15, 2009 at 12:31 pm #

A colorful front door brings a smile to me all the time. Great collection of colors.

9. K @ Blog Goggles October 15, 2009 at 7:56 am #

These are adorable! I would never have thought of yellow but I love that bright one!

10. DolceDreams October 15, 2009 at 5:10 am #

I actually have a matte lavender door that needs a make-over!(it was not my choice)…thanks for the great ideas, and for stopping by my blog!
    Nathalie

11. Laura Casey Interiors October 15, 2009 at 1:55 am #

I want to put up a hunter green. great post.

12. Kammy Kenman October 15, 2009 at 12:43 am #

I have been in such a dilemma of what color to paint my front door…Love the Spirit in the Sky-Miles Reed's. It will look great next to my living room color Farrow & Ball Teressa Green (25% lighter) which I'm in the process of repainting…

13. sarah @ realestatestyle October 15, 2009 at 12:36 am #

Ours is a Ben Moore teal very similar to the last 2!

14. Things That Inspire October 15, 2009 at 12:06 am #

Love this post – I have a plain white front door (actually, BM linen white). When I was thinking about painting it, my neighbor's nanny (who is Asian) said that the color of the front door has great meaning in the Asian culture. Black is a 'no-no'. White is good, so is red. So, I kept the door white! But – I secretly dream of a green front door with the same hardware as the Miles Redd door!

15. Struggler October 14, 2009 at 11:26 pm #

These are great, and I think a bright, glossy front door should be a priority for everyone – after all, it's easy to do and one of the least expensive house projects.
    Mine is blue, unfortunately a rather dingy shade. Our Home Owners Association offers about 6 front door colors and none of them are very nice. My neighbor has black and I was too timid to copy her!

16. fromtherightbank.com October 14, 2009 at 10:50 pm #

I love every single one of these and that would be my problem – deciding on the color.

17. Isabella & Max Rooms October 14, 2009 at 10:47 pm #

Hands down, the Miles Reed door is my favorite…I have a thing about turquoise! I can't even imagine how delighted I would be to return home each day to this door…sigh.
    Janell

18. pk October 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm #

Very good idea to put the paint options with the various doors! You have some great choices here.
    pk @ Room Remix

19. Jennifer Ramos October 14, 2009 at 8:55 pm #

Gorgeous! Thanks for putting this together…!

Jen Ramos
    madebygirl.blogspot.com

20. DoxaHome.com October 14, 2009 at 8:45 pm #

Loving the Calypso Orange and Gray combo! And NEEDLESS to say, the entry to the fabulous home of Miles Redd. Btw, I added you to our blog roll today as well, thanks for the add;) Tried to email you regarding DOXA's designer program but was unable to pull your email address from your blog's profile page, my address is jrogers@doxahome if still you are still interested. Thanks Cristin!

21. Cottage Collections October 14, 2009 at 7:12 pm #

Thank you for stopping by my blog Cristin and blogging about my Pink Door Photo.

I hope to see you again soon!

Joyce Lucas